Saturday 28 August 2010

Adrenaline Rush.

This happened today.... True story... One that is full of wonderful experience and knowledge gained that I'd like to share with you all... Saving one's life can really upgrade your life in many ways. Yes, I had saved a man's life today and here's... my story.



Lem & I and the other 5 people of our team stood outside the place, anxious and getting our adrenaline pumped in. An observer rushed towards us..

Observer: *in a hurried tone* "There you are!! Hello guys, this is Aluminium *something2* Company!! Thank god you've finaly arrived. There was a MASSIVE explosion a while ago and it hit quite a number of people. All the people injured are in that part of the building so if you guys can just check them, Please!! I've called 111"

She was clearly out of breath.

We all ran towards the place. I was up ahead being all excited to be in a scene and when I neared it, I heard moaning voices and even those that seemed concerned. Slightly eerie, I should call t. And as I pushed the door open, I saw a number of casualties lying on the floor, injured in so many parts and moaning for help whilst the by-standers either helping or just simply standing there panicking.
I could feel the vulnerability of the place and the panic in the air, with the smell of chemicals as I hit the area. Something was definitely wrong...

I didn't take my time looking around since I immediately ran towards a casualty in need of help. So I am not quite sure what happened to the others. That said, I am just gonna write down what I've experienced...

As I saw a man unhelped under a machine with a lady standing over him, I thought of the potential dangers surrounding us. Checked thoroughly for it and decided it to be safe. So I immediately assesed him:

The man in blue had his arm an inch away from him with blood gushing out from his core body at which the arm got separated from. The sight was just... disturbing that I took 5 seconds continously screaming (precious time wasted). A milisecond later though, I regained myself and checked his responsiveness. He could barely speak and was moaning very much in pain. "Ooo~ look he's hurt~" said the lady beside him.

As I ignored her, I checked the man's breathing.

Me:
"Sir, what happened here? Can you speak to me?"

Man: *mumbles* my arm...

Me:
Don't you worry, Sir. Everything's alright. I am here and I'll help you through this. Si--

The lady interrupted me in a hyper manner, "Ooooohhh~ wowww! loook! An arm! Hehehehehe you should join it back to his shoulder! Haha hehehee.." *picks up that arm and puts it down again*

I paused myself and looked at her in annoyance. I stood up and yelled, "WOULD YOU JUST LEAVE?" and off she walked away, finally. The man in blue yelled out in pain and immediately, I gave him back my attention.

As I reassured him that he'll be alright, and I could see he felt calmer. I covered his bleeding with a thick clothing (I took frm nearby) and applied pressure on it. I bandaged it carefully (terribly) and then monitored him for symptoms of shock.
I was talking to him the whole way through as I did everything. In seconds, the man's conciousness degraded. And soon then, he actually lost it. I called him out and he wasn't responding. So I opted to hit him at his collar bone to see if he would respond. And he moaned a little. Ok, so thank god he wasn't completely unconcious.

Seeing that his heart was working fine, I put him into a recovery position by rolling him (w/ a technique) so that he faces sideways instead of upwards. This was to get his fluids in the body drained and to prevent any airway obstruction going on. It was also a good position since the part where his limb got off was indirectly given pressure. His head, however, was tilted downwards and I was afraid that this may give a chance of obstructing his airway... I searched around for anything soft that I could use as a pillow but failed. In the end.... I used his lost limb. As his head laid itself on his own right arm, the ambulance was finally heard and safe, we were...

And don't worry, he's safe and sound now. In fact, his limb is now perfectly attached to himself again (amazing). I saved his life... For the first time in my life, I actually saved someone's. You know how wonderful that feels, how much it ca--------

OK FINEEEEEEEEE~ I'll save you all the sentimental speech. THIS is what really happened at the First Aid Training:


As Lem & I and the other 5 people of our team stood outside the Cumberland's Library, anxious and getting our adrenaline pumped in. Our First Aid instructor, acting as an observer, rushed towards us..


Instructor: *in a hurried tone* Okay! There you are!! Hello guys, this is Aluminium *something2* Company!! Thank god you've finaly arrived. There was an explosion a while ago and all the people injured a---

*Me rushes towards the Library*

Instructor: WAIT a sec! Come here! I haven't even finished?!

Me: Woops, sorry. *Too excited*

Instructor: Ahneways. All the people injured are in that building (pool room) so if you guys can just check them, Please!! I've called 111 and the ambulance will be on their way.

Me: Err... are you supposed to be a bystander? ('cause if she was then we might need to interrogate her of what actually happened)


Instructor: What? No.. I'm an observer. I'm just like... someone who's not in the scene but saw it all happening.. like you know.... just sort of invisible.

Me: *in head* Oh.. she's God.

Instructor: GO! GOOO!!!

*And off we ran*

I was up ahead being all excited to be in a scene and when I neared it, I heard moaning voices and even those that seemed concerned. And as I pushed the door open, I saw a number of our friends, acting as the casualties, all on the floor... clearly in need of help... Bystanders were annoyingly loud asking for assitance to the casualties. Chairs everywhere to create a chaotic atmosphere. Some got stuck under it... Some chairs, inverted. I saw Mah (bystander), yelling for help, at the corner but decided to go for the nearer one.

I didn't take my time looking around since I immediately ran towards a casualty in need of help. I never spoke to the guy so I was quite shy. Haha.. he had curly blonde hair and had that Ron Weasley-ish look.

Me: Sir, what's wrong with you? Tell me what happened.

Dibah acted as the lady, the annoyin bystander. With a jolly face, she said "ooo~ look! an arm!"

Me: OHMAGOD*SCREAMS CONTINUOSLY FOR 5 SECONDS*

Dibah gave me a confused look. Very unproffessional of me indeed.

Me: Ok fineee~ I'm sorry, it just looks so real. I freaked out.

*continues the act*

Me: Sir, what happened here? Can you speak to me?

Man: *mumbles* my arm...

Me: Don't you worry, Sir. Everything's alright. I am here and I'll help you through this. Si--


Dibah in hyper manner, "Ooooohhh~ wowww! loook! An arm! Hehehehehe you should join it back to his shoulder! Haha hehehee.." *picks up arm and puts it down again*

I paused myself and looked at Dibah. I wondered why she did that and only realised that she had been trying to get attention from me frm the beginning by being annoying and that she was a BYSTANDER. In First Aid, any potentially HYSTERICAL/ANNOYING or just merely a Bystander shall be removed from the scene as they may pose a danger.

I stood up and yelled, "WOULD YOU JUST LEAVE?" and off she walked away, finally. Dibah gave me the Woah-Relax-Jah look :P. Hahaha I got too into it. Even Lem who was treating another person and getting a bandage heard me said this and was like "Woa~ kasar jua. hahaha"

As I reassured him that he'll be alright, and I could see he felt calmer. I covered his bleeding with a thick clothing to which I had picked up from a nearby basket and applied pressure on it.

Me: Oh my god, should I be bandaging you with this? Wait, should I just leave it? I think I should.. What do you think?
Man: Err... I'm not supposed to help you....


Me: Ah, hell with it. I'm bandanging you up. So I picked him up a little and did a one roll over his body with the bandage.

*Instructor came*

Instructor: Good good, well done. But maybe bandage may be useless in this case. just make sure you keep applying pressure to the injury.

I then monitored him for symptoms of shock. I was talking to him the whole way through as I did everything. In seconds, the man's concious degraded. And soon then, he actually lost it. I called him out and he wasn't responding.

Me: Err.. excuse me? EXCUSE ME? Erm.. wait.. wait.. Are you actually being unconcious?

Man: Err.. yeah?

Me: Oh right..

*continues the act*

So I opted to hit him at his collar bone to see if he would respond. And he moaned a little.

Me: Ohmygod, did that really hurt? I'm sorry! Wait, are you acting?

*Hits him again*

Man: *moans*

Me: Wait... acting? or seriously hurt by my hit? I'm confused... how exactly concious are you? *haha soalan talor*

Man: Acting!!

Me: Ooohhh! Just checking! Okay!

*continues the act*

Ok, so thank god he wasn't completely unconcious.

Seeing that his heart was working fine, I put him into a recovery position by rolling him (w/ a technique) so that he faces sideways instead of upwards. I did it oh so perfectly at this point..

This was to get his fluids in the body drained and to prevent any airway obstruction going on. It was also a good position since the part where his limb got off was indirectly given pressure. The instructor gave me a well done at this point and left to check on the other casualties.

His head, however, was tilted downwards and I was afraid that this may give a chance of obstructing his airway... I searched around for anything soft that I could use as a pillow but failed.

Me: Oh my god... what can I do to make your head right... hmm hmm... *looks around*

Man: .................. *unconcious*

Me: HAH! Found one!

I took the plastic arm (that looked effing real especially since it was of the same colour as his shirt) and placed it under his head.

The guy, curious to know what had been used to cushion his head, took a peek from his unconciousness. He laughed his head off.

Me: I am so sorry but there's just no other pillow!!

Instructor: NE~NO~NE~NO~NE~NO~ and so the ambulance arrives. OKAYYYY !! END OF SCENE.

Many mistakes. First, should have thought of Dibah as bystander from the beginning. Second, no shouting at a bystander to JUST LEAVE. And out of all the others, the worst one would be USING A THE VICTIM'S OWN LIMB AS A CUSHION TO HIS HEAD. Hahaha..


Ofcourse, with a limb, the top to do list with it is to place it onto an icepack in a plastic bag.... or milk (unlikely in this case) as recently discovered. In MY defense HOWEVER! Since there wouldn't be any icepack in such a place anyway, I would use it as a prevention to air obstruction which would be, in a recovery position case, a threat! Hence, my decision.... as silly as it sounds :P . Besides, the ambulance was about to arrive :D .

What happened was we were divided into three groups of seven:

#1: Bystanders (those who are not injured in an emergency but are just somehow there)
#2: Casualties (those in need of emergency care)
#3: First Aiders (the heroes :P)


We all got to rotate and actually experience what it feels like to be each role. So when my group had to be the First Aiders, that was what it felt like. Intense ;)


No comments: